Khankendi is located on the Gargar River, at the eastern foot of the Caucasus range, in 385 kilometers’ distance from Baku. Adminstratively, Khankendi combines one city (Khankendi) and one settlement( Karkijahan). It was the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region. Its territory is 8.8 km², population is 55.5 thousand people (01.01.2013). The city of Khankendi was occupied by Armenian armed forces on December 28, 1991.
Khankendi borders on Kalbajar, Tartar, Aghdere, Aghdam in the north, Shusha in the south, Khojavend in east, Lachin the west and in the centre it is surrounded by Khojali and Askeran regions.
Khankendi differs from other Azerbaijan cities being relatively young. According to the archive records, the city was founded at the ends of the XVIII century as a resting place of the Karabakh khans. In order to create maximum condition for khans ‘activities, the city was settled at the foot of the mountain, in a 10- kilometers distance from Panahabad (now Shusha), the capital city of the Khanate. In the first years only khan’s family and relatives lived in the settlement, that’s why it was known as "Khanin kendi” (Khan’s village) among local people. After short time it was called Khankendi. However, Kankendi was founded for recreation purpose, from XX it started to develop as a new cultural and industrial centre of Azerbaijan.
Enterprises constructed in Khankendi produced more than half of product of the oblast. Industrial output of the province was producing more than half of the enterprises built Khakendi. Silk, shoe, carpet, textile factories, dairy enterprise and winery operating in Khankendi were well-known in the South Caucasus. Electro-technology plant, furniture factory, construction materials factory occupied a worthy place in the domestic market.
When Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region was established according to decree of the Central Executive Committee Soviets of Azerbaijan dated 07.07.1923, Khankendi was declared as the capital city of the region. In 18.09.1923 in accordance with the decision of the Karabakh Region Party Committee the name of the city was changed and renamed Stepanakert.
In accordance with Decree No.I X 837 of of the Presidium of the Supreme Sov’iet of Azerbaijan SSR dated 15.05.1978, the city center was moved from Stepanakert to workers settlement Askeran and Stepanakert region was called Askeran..
In accordance with Decree No. 1783-XI of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan SSR, dated 21.04.1990 Karkijahan residential area of the city of Stepanakert was attributed to the category of urban-type settlements and Kerkidzhahan.S Settlement Soviet was established within Stepanakert City Soviet. In accordnce with the Law of the Azerbaijan Republic No. 279-XII "On the Liquidation of Nagorno Karabakh Autonomous Oblast of Azerbaijan" dated 26 November 1991, the historical name of the city Stepanakert was returned and renamed Khankendi.
Jabrayil region is situated in the south of the Azerbaijan Republic, on the Minor Caucasus Mountains. It border on the Iran Islamic Republic in the south, Zangilan in the south-west, Gubadli in the west, Khojavend in the north, Fizuli in the east.The distance between Jabrayil and Baku is 338km.
Jabrayil granted an administrative district status on 08.08.1930. Its territory is 1.05 thousand sq.km, population 74,5 thousand people(01.04.2013).The region consisted of one adminstartive city centre(Jabrayil), 4 settlemnts, (Khalafli, Khudaferin, Gumlag, Mahmudlu) and 92 villages. The villages are: Khubyarli, Khudaverdili, İmambaghi, Gurbantepe, Shahveledli, Yarehmedli, Balyand, Khalafli, Garajalli, Yukhari Merjanli, Boyuk Marjanli, Jojug Marjanli, Chereken, Efendiler, Papı, Dagh Tumas, Chelebiler, Garaghage, Sofulu, Hagdili, Huseynalıilar, Kavdar, Mirek, Tulus, Horovlu, Chapand, Safarsha, Hovuslu, İsagli, Galagdig, Doshulu, Mahmudlu, Yukhari Maralyan, Gazanzemi, Chullu, Dagh Mashanli, Əsgerkhanli, Soyudlu, Gumlag, Derzili, Mestalibeyli, Guyjag, Nuzgar, Sheybey, Mashanli, Alikeykali, Mehdili, Chakhirli
Dash Veyselli, Sedi, Sarijallı, Emirvarli, Mezre, Yukhari Mezre, Sirik, Ashaghi Sirik, Molla Hasanli, Khanaghabulag, Shahvelli, Goyərchin Veysalli, Haji İsagli, Goshabulag, Govshudlu, Niyazgulular, Tinli, Shukurbeyli, Dedgel, Fughanli, Hasangaydi, Shikhaliaghali, Gishlag, Karkhulu, Tatar, Ashaghi Maralyan, ikhShlar, Jafarabad, Kurdler, Dashkesen, Yukhari Nusus, Suleymanli, Niftalilar, Yanarkhage, Gushchular, Kechel Memmedli, Garar Soltanli, Ashig Melikli, Nusus.
The name of Jabrayil was taken from the name of the village Jabrayil that was the centre of the region. Father Jabrayil, who was the founder of the village Jabrayil, was one of the closes of the ruler by name Sultan Ahmed who lived in VIII century and the territories between Zuyaret Mountain and the river Araz belonged to Father Jabrayil and his sons.
The territory of Jabrayil region is rich with cement, marble, limestone and other building materials. It is also known that there are iron-ore and oil deposits there.The people in Jabrayil were mainly engaged in vine growing, grain growing, silk worm breeding and cattle breeding. Science, culture, education highly developed there. 92 doctors, 423 nurses worked in 510-beds’ hospitals. There were more than 1660 teachers working at 72 schools, 3 musical schools, 12 culture houses, 32 clubs, 10 cultural tents, autoclubs, 78 libraries, one museum and 508 cultural employees used to work in those enterprises. There were over 20 thousand exhibits in the regional History-Ethnography Musuem, 8 industrial enterprises, 42 collective farms, livestock fattening comlex, poultry farm functioned in the region.
Underground water-supply system that was formed in Azerbaijan in I century was widely used in Jabrayil. 118 underground water-supplies out of 813 in Azerbaijan are in this region. There were more than 360 ice-cold springs rich with natural minerals. Two large irrigation canals -"Teymur Guliyev" and "Maralyan" cannels- in the region provided the rapid development of agriculture. There was 4,039 ha protective forest-belt, 58.585 ha sowing area, 1079 ha garden area there.
Carpet-weaving in Jabrayil (there is also a separate carpet school in Jabrayil) was famous with pile carpets named "Gasımusaghi", "Kurd", "Garagoyunlu", "Behmenli", pileless carpets like carpet set, sackcloth (horse-cloth), holdall, saddlebag, verni, asmalig (suitable for hanging) mats, rugs, palas, farmash, kilim and gegim.
The territory of Jabrail is rich with material and cultural monuments. The cave “Divler Sarayi” locating not far from the village Dagh-Tumash, “Mesdgid Tepe”, “Jangulu”and “ Gumtepe” moundsin Galajig village, Sigeon construction on Gizilgaya mountain near the village Galajig, “Geherjik galiglar” (remainders) and “Gishlag yerleri” not far from the village Girkhlar, archeological tombs “Mazannene”, :Mermer nene” on Diridagh mountain, “Bashikesik Gumbez” in the village Daghtumash, “Gala” bridge in Sirik vilaage, “Giz Galasi” and Khudaferin bridges on Diridagh mountaian, a mosque complex in Chelebiler village, “Sultan Mejid hamami” in the city centre, “DaireviTiurbe (mauseloum)” in Shikhlar village, 8-pointed tombs and mausoleums in Turkish cemeteries are living history transferred from generation to generation. Jabrayil is the homeland of Ashug Gurban, Ashug Pery, Ashug Mughrum Kerim, Ashug Humay, Ashug Abdulla, etc. who were considered ancestors of modern ashugs.
Jabrayil was occupied on August 23, 1993 by the armed forces of Armenia. The region with 1050 square km area, 72 secondary schools, 8 hospitals, 5 mosques, 2 museums, 120 historic monuments, 149 cultural centers, about 100 villages remained in the area occupied and totally destroyed by the Armenians. During the Karabakh War 362 people became martyrs, 149 civilians became invalids, and 6 people became National Heroes of Azerbaijan.
Once 7 people from Jabrayil were awarded the title of Hero of Socialist Labor and one- Hero of the Soviet Union.
Gubadli region was formed on March 14, 1933. There was one city (Gubadli), 93 villages there. The villages are: Ashaghı Jibikli, Khallava, Yukhari Jibikli, Balasoltanli, Garaimanli, Padar, Basharat, Armudlu, Deshdahat, Hat, Milanli, Chardagli, Eyin, Khaladge, Tarovlu, Chereli, Boyuneker, Saldash, Demirchiler, Poladli, Dondarli, Dileli, Muskenli, Mirler, Goyerjik, Əliquluuşağı, Fərcan, Göyyal, Hərtiz, Zor, Bəxtiyarlı, Saray, Hal, Ballıqaya, Qəzyan, Məmər, Mollali, Hemzeli, Chaytumas, Efendilər, Yusifbeyli, Khanlig, Khojahan, Gilijan, Tinli, Khochik, Mardanli, Garajalli, Garaghadge, Garakishiler, Garalar, Huseynushaghi, Kavdadiq, Gayali, Abdalanlı, Ləpəxeyranlı, Mahmudlu, Mahruzlu, Muradxanlı, Muğanlı, Məlikəhmədli Qundanlı, Alagurshag, Davudlu Eyvazli, Gurjulu, Gadili, Mazra, Sariyatag, Tatar, Garagoyunlu, Giyasli, Teymur, Muskenli, Balahesenli, Khidirl, Ulashli, Altinja, Ebilje, Yukhari Khojamsagliı, Ashaghi Khojamsagli, Mehrili, Yukharu Mollu, Ashaghı Mollu, Mollaburhan, Zilanli, Kurd Mahruzlu, Seleli, Novlu, shigli, Hekeri, Gilfir, Seytas, Goyar Abbas,Khendek.
The distance between Gubadli and Baku is 403 km. It is located in the south-west of the Azerbaijan Republic, in the south-east of the Karabakh plateau. It shares a 120-km border with Armenia, a 45- km border with Khojevend. Gubadli also borders on Lachin, Jabrayil, and Zangilan regions.
The nature of Gubadli region is very beautiful. In 1969 state natural reserve was established there. There was a 13,160-ha national forestry fund in the region with different types of trees. Oak trees were the protector, hornbeam trees were the wealth, apple, pear, nut, medlar, cornel, hawthorn trees were the riches, mountain rivers, waterfalls, icy springs wre the fame, black-eyed gazelles, partridges, pheasants, francolins, pigeons were the beauty of these forests. Two big mountain rivers flow through the region— the Hakari and Bargushad rivers. The Hakari River takes its beginning from Kalbajar region. Some mountain rivers join it until the Hakari flows into the Araz.
The Bargushad River takes its beginning from Erikli Mountain. The Bargushad gets its strength from the Delichay, Sheki, Sisiyan, Takhtakorpu, Dashli dere, Bakhtiyarli and Agha Rivers that take their sources from mountain springs. The Bargushad River also flows into the Araz like the Hakari River. Both rivers interflow near the village Garalar of Gubadli region.
Though one part of the region is lowland, the main part is mountainous. Mountanous areas are covered with forests. Lifegiving springs in Hartiz and Senger Mountains of the region are considered to be remedy. The people in Gubadli were engaded in cattle breeding, tobacco-growing and grain –growing. Thre was unused agate deposit in Gubadli. There was marble resource there as well.
Gubadli and its surrounding villages were included in the administrative territory of Nagorno-Karabakh in XVIII century. Later, Gubadli which was the composition of the Zangazur province, was included in Zangazur in 1868 after the establishment of the Yelizavetpol province. Gubadli borders on Gorus, Gafan regions of Armenia, and Zangilan, Jabrayil, Lachin, Khojavend regions.
Gubadli city is situated in the south-east of Karabakh plateau, on the bank of the Bazarchay River. 62 offices and enterprises were operating in the city. There was one asphalt plant, an incubator- poultry farm, stone quarry, technical supply department, clothes factory, a branch of Azerbaijan “Neftqazavtomat” experimental plant and other industrial enterprises there.
In Gubadli region there were 21 general secondary schools, including 26 eight-year schools, 15 primary schools, 1 part-time school. Every year 300 students gained various professions at technical vocational school № 126 in the village of Khanlig.
Four hospitals with 685 beds, 33 medical centres were functioning in Gubadli. 111 cultural-educational institution, 60 libraries, 10 cultural centres, 28 libraries, 6 auto-clubs, 23 film projectors served people in the region. 125 trade, 96 public-caterings, 25 domestic service enterprises functioned in Gubadli.
There were 21 communication facilities in the region. In Gubadli settlement 1200- nurmbers ATS, in Muradkhanli and Hal villages a 150 –numbers ATS for each, in Teymur Muskanli, Balasultanli, Chardakhli, Ashaghi Molla villages 100 –numbers ATS for each, in Gayali village 50-numbers ATS were functioning.
Gubadli region was occupied by armed forces of Armenia on August 31, 1993. Before the occupation tens of new public and residential buildings, gardens, avenues, squares, and bridges had been built, roads had been constructed in the villages and settlements. There was a secondary school for 1176 students in the settlement, a 422-students school for each of the villages Chapali, Dondarli, Mahruzl, a 325-students school in Muradkhanli village, in Balasoltanli, Chardakhli and Garajalli villages a 192-students school for each, in Gayali village a secondary school for 216 students, a 192-seats school for each of the villages Demirchiler, Khandek, a 164 –seats eight-year school in Garakishiler, Tarovlu, Ashaghi Khojasamli villages for each, primary schools in Mardanli, Padar, Giyasli, Abdalanli, Marlar villages. All these schools had ben constructed before the occupation.
New modern hospital, ATS, trade center, department store, super markets, bazaar, hotel, bookstore in the city centre, a clinic in Mahruzlu in village, out-patient’s clinic in the village of Garalar, library buildings inKhojic Ishigli, Dileli and Muskanlı villages had also been constructed prior to the occupation.
Before the occupation of the region the new asphalt and highways were constructed and threy connected the town with Aligulushaghi, Hekeri (Zangelan region), Khanlig, Ayin, Fardgan, Mirler, Demirchiler, Hartiz, Charali, Muradkhanli, Garajalli, Eyvazli and Yukhari Mollu villages, also old roads were expanded. Khanlig-- Yukhari Mollu, Ulashlı--Mahruzlu, Gazyan-Khojahan and other rural roads had completely changed their previous view. Gubadli-Dondarl, Sariyatag-Padar, Gralar-Mahruzlu, Teymur Muskanli-Balahesenli, Mahmudlu-Hajili Bridges not only joined the wistful bank also inspired the visitors. A guesthouse built in “paradise” Armudlu garden that was situated in a life-giving corner of Senger Mountain pleased everyone. The people of Gubadli continued renovation and construction work with enthusiasm.
Lachin region, is located in mountainous terrain, in the south-west of the Azerbaijan Republic. It borders on Kalbajer in the north, Khojaly, Shusha and Khojavand regions in the east, Gubadli region in the south and the Republic of Armenia in the west.
There were the rarest mahogany tree forests in the world, , different kinds of mineral water, cobalt, uranium, mercury, gold, iron, marble deposits in different colors, too many medicinal plants in the territory of Lachin.
Tagi Shahbazi chose the location of the region and gave it the name of Lachin. Lachin region was established in 1924. As a region its establishment date is August 08, 1930. Its territory is 1.84 thousand sq.km, population 72,4 thousand (01.04.2013) people. The regionl centre is Lachin and there is one settlement , 125 villages in the region. The villages are:– Garikaha, Aghbulag, Aghjakend, Alkhasli, Ardushlu, Aghchayazi, Ashaghi Farajan, Yukhari Farajan, Bozlu, Galacha, Bülündüz, Ayıbasar, Birinci İpək, Cağazur, Cicimli, Aşağı Cicimli, Qazıdərə, Daşlı, Hətəmlər, Kaha, Narishlar, Valibeyli, Ahmdli, Farrash, Nuraddin, Fatalipaya, Aghanus, Arab, Turshsu, Unannovu, Gulabird, Hajikhanli, Birinji Tighik, Govushug, Hajilar, Hochaz, Avazlar, Mollalar, Uluduz, Budagdere, İrchan, Chemberekend, Khumarta, Kamalli, Chıragly
, Kohnekend, Alijan, Eyrik, Gishlag, Kurdhaji, Erikli, Hajisamli, Garasaggal, Garabeyli, Korjabulag, Lolabaghirli, Garakechdi, Katos, Garıgishlag, Gilinjli, Soyugbulag, Zeyvə, Gorchu, Zagalti, Goshasu, Alpout, Bulovluk, Gozlu, Finga, Gushchçu, Malkhalaf, Mazutlu, Melikpeye, Malibey, Aghoghlan, Husulu, Ziyrik, Mıghıidere, Khirmanlar, Dayhan, Deyirmanyani, Baldırghanlı, Tarkhanli, Minkend, Mirik, Mishni, Oguldgere, Aghalarushaghi, Pichenis, Khachinyali, Kohne Chorman, Pirjahan, Aligulu, Garachanli, Seyidler, Sadinlar, Sefiyan, Khanalilar, Suarasi,Turkler, Sonasar, Mayis, Shamkend, Bozdaghan, Chorman, Elekchi, Naghdali, İkinji Tighik, Shelve, Dambulag, İmanlar, Tezekend, Erdeshevi, Hagnezer, Vaghazin, Bozguney, Kalafalgi, Zabukh, Beylik, Gizilja, Sus, Zerti, Aghbulag, Sheylanli.
The distance between Lachin region and Baki is 414 km.
There were about 200 historical-cultural and architectural monuments, tens of mounds, fortress- type monuments being very useful from archeological point of view, a large number of gravestone monuments, horse, ram figures, stones with plot in lachin. Also the area was rich with many natural resources, healing mineral waters and this peerless territory has been under the Armenian occupation since May 18, 1992 under the occupation of the Republic of Armenia. Before the occupation there were 217 cultural centers, 142 health facilities, 133 offices and institutions, 100 secondary schools, preschool institutions, 5 musical schools, 1 boarding school, 1 vocational school, 1 communication centre in the region of Lachin.
Everyone was impressed with the beauty of Lachin. In the lower part of the province on the foot of Zangazur Mount you can see Artiz, Salag and Markiz Mounts locating in a considerable distance from one another, far away from them Khustun, Kepez, Kecheldagh mountain chain is lying, beyond them Pirdivan, Gajaran, Kigin Mounts are seen.on the slopes of Mount Zangazur Artız, and Mərkiz Let the mountains, far away from them Xustun, Kəpəz, Kechaldagh Ridge stretches, they Pirdavan side, Qacaran, Kiqin appear Mountains. The peak of Zangazur mountain is 3906 meters high above sea level and always covered by snow.
Lachin region occupies a very small area in comparison with countries, states, and the Safavids state of Azerbaijan, as well as, a province of Russia. But the area is so peerless and captivating as if the God has created it only for himself and his angels. Lachin is irreplaceable with its beautiful forests, fresh air, pure waters, snow-white mountains, cliffs, gazeles, roe deer, mountain goats and, mountain plains, vast pastures, various flowers hanging from the rocks, boiling hot springs, unique flowers, 300-400 years old red oak trees, eagles, brave sons, honest and devoted daughters. In other words, the place has been blessed by the God --the nature with mysterious beauty,rich natural resources, and the blessings of everything. Historically, the natural conditions allowed the local population to be mainly engaged in cattle breeding, also husbundry, bee-keeping, gardening, horticulture developed there. They manufactured from wool, fur whatever you want. There were high-quality water sources in Lachin. More than 20 of them were healing springs. Since the ancient times the local people have usedwas used these mineral springs for treatment reason. These mineral waters were called “bash suyu (head water), goz suyu (eye water), dish suyu (tooth water), radiculitis water, gastric water, etc.” because of their miracle. These water resources were near Minkend, Molla-Ahmedli, Mirik and other settlements of the region and renovation-construction work was always carried out there. In summer, people from all parts of Azerbaijan, especially from warm places, even from Zangazur and Karabakh used to come to these placesfor a cure.
Kelbajar region borders on the Republic of Armenia in the west, Dashkesen, Khanlar (now: Goygol) regions, Terter region in the north-east, Aghdam, Khojali in the east, Lachin region in the south. The territory of the region Lachin is 3054 km2 and there was one regional centre, one urban-type settlement and 145 villages there. About 20 villages of Aghdere region were included in Lachin adminstarative division. Kelbajar granted an administrative district status on August 08, 1930.The villages are:Abdullaushaghi, Aghyatag, Fatallar, Moz, Mozgarachanli, Aghjakend, Orudglu, Tezekend, Zaghalar, Aghdaban, Baghirli, Chaygovushan, Almalig, Boyukduz, Lachin, Ashaghi Ayrim, Boyagli, Yukhari Ayrım, Baghlipeye, Veng, Bashlibel, Alirzalar, Chovdar, Khallanlıi, Shahkerem, Jomerd, Garaguney, Najafali, Piriler, Chaykend, Kendyeri, Gasimlar, Mishni, Rehimli, Chepli, Zulfugarli, Cherekdar, Childiran, Turkeshevend, Galaboyun, Garakhanchalli, Yanshagbine, Alolar, Armudlu, Bezirkhana, Hajimalilar, İlyaslar, Devedashi,
Mehmana, Chirag, Mammadsefi, Tovledere, Dalghilijli, Barmagbine, Deregishlag, Otagli, Otgishlag, Dashbulag, Alchali, Allikend, Boyur, Demirchidam, Ganlikend, Bazarkend, Dovshanli, Hayad, Esrik, Chobangerehmez, Chorman, Tirkeshevend, Guneshli, Alchali, Nebiler, Hajikend, Bashkend, Heyvali, Yayiji, Hasanriz, İstibulag, Aghdash, Goydere, Keshdek, Kəremli, Kolatagh, Damghali, Gamishli, Baghirsag, Kechiligaya, Zergulu, Vengli, Zallar, Hasanlar, Zeylik, Kaha, Hopurlu,
Gazikhanli, Orta Garachanli, Ashaghi Garachanli, Bash Garachanli, Kholazay, İmanbinesi, Tatlar, Gilınjlı, Alchali, Guzeychikin, Gizilgaya, Yukhari Oratagh, Chopurlu, Gozlu, Gozlukorpu, Lev, Merdgimek, Aghgaya, Birinji Milli, İkinji Milli, Uchunju Milli, Mollabayramli, Nadirkhanli, Narinjlar, Saridash, Guneypeyə, Seyidler, Jemilli, Susuzlug, Gasimbinesi, Shaplar, Mammadushaghi, Ashaghi Shurtan, Orta Shurtan, Soyugbulag, Yukhari Shurtan, Takhtabashi, Yenikend, Tekegaya, Babashlar, Bozlu, Chormanli, Garaguney, Yanshag, Yellije, Tekdam, Zar, Sheyinli, Zivel, Shahmansurlu.
The population of Kelbajar region is 85,5 thousand people (01.04.2013). 98% of the population made Azerbaijanis, the rest 2% the Russians , the Kurds from Iran and other nationalities. The etymology of the word “Kelbajer” was taken from Turkic origin that mean “fortress on the river”(the initial form was “Kevlicher”). “Kevli” means “over the river”, “cher jer” means “fortress”.
The surface is mountainous (Murovdagh, Shahdagh, East Sevan (Sevan), Vardenis, Mikhtoken, a part of the Karabakh chain and Karabakh plateau). Jamish Mountain is the highest peak (3724 m) and Dalidagh (3616 m). Jurassic, Cretaceous, Palaeogene, Neogene and anthropogenic sedimentary, volcanic-sedimentary and volcanic rocks spread in the area. The longest river of the region the River Terter, its tributaries (the Lev River, the Tutguncay River, etc.) and the source of the River Bazarchay is in the territory of Kelbejer region. In the central and northern part broad-leaved forests, forest-steppe vegetation, in the high and partly high mountains alpine and sub-alpine meadows cover a large area. The total area of the forests is 32774 hectares. Mountain goats, brown bear, wild boar, rocky place squirrel, eagles, etc.enriche its fauna.
Kalbajar is located approximately 450 km west from Baku, on the Barda –Istisu (Kelbajar) motorway, on the bank of the Tartar River, on the steep cliffs.
Kalbajar is situated at the edge of Barda-Istisu road, 450 kilometers far from Baku in the west, in the shores of Terter and on the cliffes.
There were regional department of State Security Committee of Republic Consumer-technical Agriculture, household service combinat, station of sanitary-epidemiological, 2 secondary schools, music school, cultural center, 2 mass libraries, central hospital, polylinic, cinema, maternity hospital, large trade, industrial institutions. Kalbajar is located on the mountain plain and it is in the foothills of mountains around it.
The heaven of Azerbaijan Kalbajar can be named rosary. It has more than 30 thousands springs with guests in all seasons of the year and it is museum of nature . There are more than 4 thousand kinds of plants and 200 of them are used in treatment.as a Land of rich forests Kalbajar owns hundreds of mineral springs. Istisu’s fame about curing every illness, fancy of cloudy and misty Murov, Dalidag’s many guests on its hills and its rosary of flowers are known to everyone. And so for that reason father of geology of Caucasus Avix noted about Kalbajar : “The person who has never seen Tartar valley , only then can be astonished in front of Switzerland”.
Treatment zones with mineral water fields which gave popularity to Kalbajar such as Yukhari Istisu, Ashagi Istisu, Keshdek, Garasu, Mozchay, Bagirsag, Gotorsu are under occupation.
One of the gifts that Kalbajar possesses is Istisu and the chain of hills on the west of the region. The lake Goycha is situated in the way of 300 versts with altitude of 2225 meters above sea level. It is 112 versts way to railway station. But if you go by Yevlakh-Barda railway station the way to Istisu is 200 meters from Tartar-Agdara. The way between Kalbajar-Istisu and Tartarcay is 25 kilometers. In 1940 Istisu-Tartar road was constructed.
Academic and scientist of Azerbaijan nature Mirali Gashgay said: “Istisu Mineral spring is the gift of nature. For the chemical consistence and physical features Istisu is the same with Karlovi-Vari waters (Czech Republic) and is uniqe for its some traits.
The most eminent scientist of that time Karstenski highly appreciated curing importance of those mineral waters in Istisu and he indicated that land as a place which can bring popularity to not only Azerbaijan and USSR but also to the world. The heat of Istisu waters is 58,8 0C. 1 liter of water is rich in minerals such as lithium, bromine, iodine, arsenic, phosphorus , zink, med, nickel, magnesium, iron, weighing 6,7 grams. One of the springs wells out the fountain with the height of 8 meters. According to statistics each year 3 bln 963 mln liters of water come out from Istisu springs. Water filling fabrics had used only 22 mln of this water. Istisu Mineral springs appeared as a result bulging and crack after earthquake happened in 1138. Water of Istisu is hipertermal, carbonic and there are substances such as hydrocarbon-chloride-sulphate-natrium in it. Istisu Mineral water is comprised of 12 active springs. It is situated in Kalbajar region and distinctive for its opportune gas and chemical consistence, high temperature, and natural recources. This water can be used for healing both interior and exterior ailments. 80 big resorts and Mineral water filling factory was built on the spring. That factory had been producing 800 thousand litres of water every day. Istisu sanatories #1and #2 that were very important during the former USSR functioned in the Istisu. 50 thousand people were cured and rested there each year. This spring is one of the natural resources bringing the highest amount of income to the region’s budget. Mass amount of money is spent on drilling oil. They also benefit from the assistence of foreign companies. Annual flow of Istisu is 600 mln liters. But only 10 % of this water was utilized. Turists from many countries came to seek cure in Istisu which was considered more curative than Karlovu Vari in Check Republic.
On April 2, 1993 Kalbajar was occupied by armenian aggressors. As a result of the invasion more than 54 thousand settlers were displaced, 321 were held hostages, 511 were brutally killed, 97 schools, 9 kindergardens, 116 libraries, 43 clubs, 42 cultural centers, Museum of history, 9 hospitals, 75 medical stations, 23 ambulatories, 9 chemist’s, hundreds of administrative buildings, thousands of flats, 100 thousand cattle, 500 thousand sheep, hundreds of cars and maschines were ravaged and billions of wealth of region were carried to Armenia.
As a result of occupation Kalbajar region which is Located outside of Nagorno Karabakh and is land of 58 thousand people by Armenian Military Forces, civil people were lynched and displaced from their mother lands of thousand years.
At its 3205th meeting, the UN Security Council adopted the resolution #822 after the occupation of Kalbajar. The resolution demanded immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces from Kalbajar. No obligation arising from the resolution has been fulfilled up to now.
Residents of Kalbajar are living in 707 settlements for IDPs in 56 regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan. 13.000 flats, 37,852 hectares of forests are still ravaged. Contradicting the principles of UN and OSCE settling of armenians in the area of Kalbajar had been started since 1999.
Shusha had gained administrative status since 08.08.1930. Its center is city Shusha. Area is 0.29 thosand square kilometers, population is 31,0 thousand people. It was occupied by armenian groups on May 8th, 1992.
Before occupation it had one city and one town named Turshsu, 37 villages. The villages are Dashaltı, Goytala, Khanalı, Hasanabad, İmamgullar, Khalfali, Armudlu, Dukanlar, Garabulag, Lachnlar, Mirzalar, Shushulu, Zamanpayasi, Boyuk Galadarasi, Kichik Galadarasi, Gaybalı, Khudaverdilar, Nagılar, Yukharı Qushchular, Ashagı Gushchular, Malıbeyli, Sarıbaba, Onverst, Safikhanlar, Allahgullar, Hasangullar, Khanlıgpaya, Shırlan, Agbulag, Jamillar, Chaykand, İmanlar, Mamishlar, Pashalar, Turabkhan, Zarıslı, Nabilar. State Drama theatre, Television, Museums of State Karabakh history and history of Shusha,
memorial museums of Uzeyir Hajibeyov, Bulbul and Mir Mohsun Navvab, branch of Azerbaijan State Carpet museum, State Gallery of Art, 4 colleges, 2 branches of Institutes, vocational school, 25 secondary schools, secondary music schools, 7 kindergardens, 8 houses of culture, 17 clubs, 31 libraries, 40 medical institutions, 2 sanatories, Child sanatory, Child Health Center, turist base for 70 people, hotel, 5 culture and recriational park, 4 cinemas, public catering facilities were functioning in Shusha.
Stock-raising was main part of economy of the region. Lands eligible for agriculture was 20,9 thousand hectares. 3,8 thousand of it was field for plowing, 0,1 thousand for perennial plants, 0,3 thousand hectares were hay field, 16,7 thousand hectares were pastures. Irrigated fields were 0,1 hectares. 41% of 3,4 thousand hectar field was planted with grain and bean plants (wheat, barley, corn) , 6% was used for vegetable-melon plantation. Fruit-growing was also among activities. There were 5,2 thousand cattle, 15,2 thousand sheep and goats (1986). One of the occupations was poultry.
There were factory of Eastern musical instruments, consumer combinat, baking factory, household service combinat, regional consumption community, Resort trade institution, building No.1 of Baku “Radiogurma” factory, weaving fabric of Karabakh silk combinat, network of electricity, basis of logistics, repair and reconstruction office, restoration office of monuments, Shusha Construction Community, Reconsturction Institution between farms, Repair Reconstruction office, Repair Reconsturction Institution between farms, Maintenance of Traffic control and so on. Resort economy was developed.
Road and pipeline Yevlakh-Nakhchivan passed from Shusha. Distance between Shusha and Baku is 373 kilometers. There were 17 blockes in Shusha: Gurdlar, Seyidli, Julfalar, Guyulug, Chuxur, Dordlar Gurdu, Hajı Yusifli, Dord Chinar, Chol Gala, Mardinli, Saatlı, Kocharli, Mamayı, Khoja Marjanlı, Damirchi, Hamam Gabagı və Taza mahalla. In each block there were bath, mosque and springs. Historically architect of independemt Azeerbaijan Heydar Aliyev called Shusha as city of monuments which had 300 historical monuments, 550 ancient residential buildings, 870 meters long restored castle walls in 350 hectares land. 23 of monuments belong to republic- wide and world-wide famous monuments. Richness of national monuments, diversity in colouretness surely caused the creation of image about Shusha as a richest land of city culture.most of these monuments were built in XVIII-XIX centuries. Each house, street,great castle walls, mosques, magnificent minarets, remnants of grand castles are the signs of past.
Its area is mountainous (Karabakh mountain chain). The highest peak of it is Big Kirs (2725 m). Span Kecheldag is in Shusha. Mainly, jurassik and chalk sediments are spread here. There are different kinds of construction materials and mineral water springs (Turshsu, Shirlan). Gargar river flows from the region. Earth of it is mostly brown mountain-forest, grassland, grassy. Upper mountainous area is covered with subalp and alp meadows.
Shusha facing stone deposit, abled to produce 397 thousand cubic meters ceramic bricks production Kechaldag (Lisogor) clay deposit, with capacity 389 thousand cubic meters a day the Shusha underground freshwater deposit and with capacity 343 thousand cubic meters and 70 thousand cubic meters a day the Shirlan and Turshsu mineral water deposits.
Dashalti State Nature Reserve covering 450 hectares area was established in 1988 to protect unique natural resources in the area of Shusha and Asgaran. Shusha is a resort city due to its weather’s purity, composition and curative importance. For that reason Shusha was well-known not only in Azerbaijan but also beyond the borders for its recreational places and picturesque zones.
There is one flower owning special beauty in Shusha mountains. It does not grow anywhere else. The miracle created by nature is called Khari bulbul. Top side of the flower is as if there is nightingale on it.
Turshsu summer pastures, Sakili spring, Isa, Shamil springs, legendary “Jidir duzu” are the favourites locations of local people and guests.
Turshsu is famous as rest and medical zone. It is located in 40 kilometers from Lachin road. From the left side river Dashalti flows. Turshsu was popular for its therapeutic and medicinal bathtubs.
One of the sightseeings in Shusha is Yukhari Dashalti. People called that place Garden of Shamil. Peculiar trait of this place is that it is situated over river Dashalti, under the mountain Uchmix, around the spring. One of the favourite places of tourists visiting Shusha is unreplacable and having spectacular nature - “Jidir duzu”. Western part of it consists of 3 heights standing behind of one another. Those hills were named “Uchmikh”.
Tourists staying in sanatories and recreational centers visit those spectacular places and can not hide their surprise. Khari-bulbul festivals are held every May in one of the main recreation centers “Jidir duzu”.
Shusha was occupied on May 8th, 1992 by russian and armenian invaders. Occupation date of Shusha was heavy blow to Azerbaijan morality and severe grief for all of us. During invasion of Shusha 200 people were killed, 150 were handicapped, 552 babies became orphan, nearly 22 thousand people became refugees, during invasion aggressors demolished our historical monuments and razed them to the ground as reported. Armenian military forces plundered 15 ethnographic examples, 5 copper goods, 2 silver daggers, 1 stone pot, 20 differents objects and valuable possessions from Shusha city museum, 5 precious ancient carpets, 4 kilims, 5 saddle-bags, 1 valuable lamp, protrait of Uzeyir Hajibeyov, and several historical items from Karabakh history museum, many possesions and unique objects from memorial house museums of Mir Mohsun Navvab and Bulbul.
They carried precious objects from Shusha museums to Armenia - art and architectural works, carpet productions, folk applied art examples, archeological findings, necessary documents, memorial possesions of Azerbaijan outstanding personalities. Now those things are sold in auction or presented to public as armenian cultural samples in exhibition and museums.
Yes, in XX century Shusha encountered tragedous events and was occupied. His children became refugees and martyrs, but never bent he is still living. Population settled in 700 settlements of 58 regions.
We have to mention that although Shusha is under occupation culture and educational centers which functioned in Shusha now they continue their activity in Baku and other regions of our Republic.
Zangilan is situated in the south-west of the Azerbaijan Republic, on Baku-Julfa-Nakhchivan railway and highway and is of great strategic importance. It borders on Armenia and Iran.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century, after the occupation of the South Caucasus by Russia the new territorial-administrative division was carried out there. Yelizavetpol province was created in 1868. It included Shusha, Yelizavetpol and Zangezur iprovinces. According to a new division the territory of Zangilan region was included in Zangilan province.
In the documents (year: 1925 ) Zangilan was shown as territory of Jabrayil province
In 1929, with the decision of TSFSR Nuvadi, Togud, Ernezir villages of Zangilan region, and in 1946, four thousand hectares of forest area of the Republic of Azerbaijan was gifted to the Republic of Armenia.
Zangilan having had no common border for the last two hundred years was formed as an independent region on August 8, 1930 and its territory was clearly defined. Area is 0.71 thousand km2, population - 41, 5 thousand (01.04.2013).
Zangilan was granted a city status in 1967. At that time, Zangelan region had one City, 5 settlements (Agh oyug, Minjivan, Bartaz, Aghbend, Hekeri), 79 were villages. The villages are: Beshdeli, Genlik, Kechikli, Malatkeshin, Sarigishlag, Birinji Aghali, İkinji Aghali, Uchunju Aghali, Birinji Alibeyli, Khumarli, İkinci Alıbəyli, Sarıl, Bartaz, Qarqulu, Tatar, Tiri, Şəfibəyli, Məşədi İsmayıllı, Şərikan, Bürünlü, Yukharı Yemezli, Rebend, Yenikend, Zangilankend, Jahangirbeyli, Turabad, Veligulubeyli Janbar, Ağkənd, Dərəli, Günqışlaq, Qazançı, Pirveys, Yuxarı Çöpdərə, Baharlı, Dəlləkli, Sobu, Böyük Giletagh, Aladin, Dere Giletagh, Mirzehesenli, Udgun, Samli, Venedli, Hajalli, Seyidler, Vejneli, Aghbend, Amirkhanli, Girag Mushlan, Melikli, Mughanli, Khurama, Mughanli, Sharifan, İsgenderbeyli, Aghakishiler, Aghbis, Memmedbeyli, Babayli, Ordekli, Garadere, Garagoz, Rezdere, Kolluqışlaq, Şatarız, Şayıflı, Aşağı Gəyəli, Qaragöl, İçəri Müşlan, Tağlı, Yusiflər, Aşağı Yeməzli, Orta Yemezli, Guyuderə Kheshtab, Sarili Kheshtab, Zerneli, Havali, Negefler.
Zangelan is a region with fascinating beauty, rich in nature thank to its geographical position, soil and climate. The territory is within the scope of medium and low mountains, and it has the complex fragmented structure of the surface. From the North-west area the Bargushad ridge (at 1304 meters above sea level Susan Mount.) forms"Agh oyuq”(White hole) plain (400-600 meters above sea level) between the Bazarchay and Okhju Rivers. From the north-east Karabakh ridge the descending slope pass the hilly rivers Hakari and Araz and reaches the Gayan Lake. In the west, at the edge of Megri (Mehri-Guney) ridge Sukrataz mountain ridge (2270 meters high above sea level) is located.
At the beginning of the century the territory of the present town centre consisted of local beys’ paddy farms and their own residences. There were a lot of districts in Zangilan. They were:Cheshmegozlu,Kohne Pirchiyan, Mesjid Duzu, Shaftali Deresi, Kurdezi, Deresi, Baghirsag Dere, Munjuglu Dere, Rayshelik ( the place where silk office was located), etc.
Economic development of the region dates back to the years of Soviet power.At the same time, this region was more exposed into moral damage during the soviet times.
Prior to the occupation the region was engaged in the tobacco-growing and viticulture. Cattle-breeding, silkworm-breeding and wheat-growing was developed.
13 people from Zangelan were awarded the title of Hero of Socialist Labour - the highest state award of the Soviet empire. That was a great event all over the world. Therefore, the region went down in the history as "Golden Zangelan".
Zangilan was on Baku-Yerevan railway (there was a railway line from Minjivan to Gafan), and Baku-Sherur and Imishly-Lachin highway. Distance between Baku and Zangelan region is 385 km.
In its 63 years of existence history (till the occupation), this region was exposed lots of troubles- collectivization by force just after the formation, repressions in 1937 year, 1941-1945 years war. A part of the population of the lost all the ties with their relatives, because they remained on the other side of the Araz River.
In the 1930s a part of people in who were men of great intellect were sent into exile (Siberia, Central Asia, Kazakhstan), some were brutally executed by shooting and thrown into trenches. Groaning of wounded people thrown into the trenches was up to the heaven. Even after returning from exile they were not allowed to live in their native land.
At the last years of its existence the region, faced with Shayifly massacre of December, 1992 which had no analogue and finally it lived the same fate on October 27, 1993.
Zangilan region had a population of 32.6 thousand people (01.01.1989) when it was occupied by the Armnian army in October 1993. Before the occupation there were 10453 dwelling houses, 28200 subsidiary buildings, 195 adminstrative buildings, 870 farm subsidiary buildings, 128 cultural centres, 123 educational institutions, technical schools, 64 health care facilities, Gotursu health centre, 80 communication institutions, 7 mobile autoclubs, 21 film projectors, 2 History-Ethnography museums, 142 shopping centres, 49 public-catering establishments, 2 wine mills, a cannary, a textile factory, a brick factory, a bread-making plant, a gravel plant, 2 asfalt plants, Yazi Duzu water pumping station complex, 8 railway stations, Minjivan Depot, poultry farm, cattle fattening complex, 3400 hectres of vineyards, 6 artificial water basins in Zangilan.
There were hundreds of exhibits in the museums situated in the city centre. They reflected our people’s culture, life style and way of life from remote past till today.
After occupation of Fizuli and Jabrail regions, the population of Zangilan during 67 days lived and fought under the siege. On October 25-29, 1993, they fought till last drop of blood and crossed the Araz River, settled in the territory of the Islamic Republic of Iran and different regions of Azerbaijan.
Region Aghdam borders on Aghjabedi, Tartar, Barda, Kalbajar, Askeran, Khojavend and Fuzuli regions. The area is 1,150 sq. km; population is 186 thousand people (01.04.2013). As a region it was established on 08.08. 1930. Region Aghdam consisted of 1 city, 2 settlements (Guzanli and Acharli) and 123 villages. The villages are: Eyvazlı, Baghbanlar, İsmayilbeyli, Mughanli, Pirzadli, Saybali, Bash Guneypeye, Boyahmedli, Gizil Kengerli, Mollalar, Salahli Kengerli, Sofulu, Chemenli, Saridgali, Shukuraghali, Efetli, Hajimemmedli, Hajiturali, Hesenkhanli, İsalar, Kudurlu, Gehremanbeyli, Mammadbaghirli, Ahmedaghali, Chirakhli, Kolgishlag, Mireshelli, Alimedetli, Jinli, Aliaghali, Khachinderbetli, Kurdler, Galaychilar, Mollalar, Goytepe, Abdinli, Javahirli, Kosalar, Gulabli, Abdal, Ahmadavar, Khindiristan, Baharli, Beybabalar, Birinji Yuzbashili, Dadashli, İkinji Yuzbashili, Kelbehuseynli, Pashabeyli, Sarichoban, İmamgulubeyli, Chullu, Kengerli, Garagashli, Shirvanli, Garadaghli, Evoghlu, Rzalar, Gasimli, Gurdlar, Poladli, Shelli, Bash Gervend, Ayag Gervend, Gazanchi, Shikhlar, Giyasli, Etyeməzli, Keshtazli, Magsudlu, Chullu
Eyvazkhanbeyli, Shahbulag, Salahsəmədlər, Shishpapaglar, Talishlar, Tepemehle, Ternoyut, Tukezbanli, Melikli, Orta Gervend, Gulluja, İlkhichilar, Suma, Taghibeyli, Khatinbeyli, Khidirli, Chukhurmehle, Merzili, Nemirli, Sholtanli, Shuraabad, Tezekend, Umudlu, Novruzlu, Orta Guneypeye, Papravend, Ballar, Sarijali, Garazeynalli, Gullar, Seyidli, Bozpapaglar, Sarihajıli, Sirkhavend, Ballıgqaya, Beshirler, Garashlar, Shihbabali, Mughanli, Uchoghlan, Alibeyli, Baharli, Garapirimli, Boyukbeyli, Kichikli, Orta Gıshlag, Yeni Garalar, Mahrizli, Yusifjanli, Zəngishali, Yusifli.
Aghdam, the centre of Aghdam region is situated at a 362 km distance from Baku, 3 km away from the Gargar River, south-west of the Karabakh Plain.
Aghdam was a region with heavy, food and light industry and agriculture was developed there.
Before the occupation machine tools equipment, aerospace and communication devices, machine factory, tractor and car repair, asphalt plants, cannery, butter and cheese dairy factory, silk-worm breeding, carpet, cotton, wine-making, grain products, construction materials and animal produce factories, mechanized bake-houses, two railway stations and airport, power plants, motor vehicles maintenance stations, customer service center, the electric power station, agriculture, agricultural mechanization and electrification stations, Musical College named after U.Hajibeyov, Aghdam State Drama Theatre named after A.Hagverdiyev functioned in the city. Also, 38 collective farms and state farms, 24 construction –installation and 12 industrial enterprises, 74 schools, 105 health centers, 271 cultural centers, 67 offices, 99 clubs are under occupation.
In order to annex Nagorno Karabakh, Armenia that established its existing state in the ancient territory of Azerbaijan, involved Aghdam in the Karabakh war which broke out in February 1988 and from the very first day the greatest difficulties fell onto that region and Aghdam was the most affected the war. In the last months of 1988 ten thousands of Azerbaijanis living in Armenia, then in Nagorno Karabakh were driven out of their native lands and they took refuge just in Agdam region. Not being satisfied with the occupation of the entire Nagorno Karabakh (1992), Armenia continued its agressive policy in the regions around Nagorno Karabakh.
With the help and direct participation of some foreign countries Armenian separatist regime selected Aghdam as a target region after the occupation of Shusha, Lachin and Kalbajar. The Armenians began a large-scale agression operation to occupy this region. The agression that started from June 11, ended on July 23, 1993 with the capture of Aghdam after heavy fighting. After five-years’srtuggle Aghdam was occupied.
As a result of the military aggression continued until May 12, 1994 , the Armenians managed to occupy 8467 sq.km of the territory of Aghdam region, i.e 77.4 percent of the total area.The occupied Aghdam city and 89 villages were destroyed on unprecedented brutality and razed to the ground. Over 5 years of bloody battles for the defence of Aghdam 5897 people were killed, 3531 became invalids, 1871 children were orphaned. Thousands of people have become physically disabled, more than 126 thousand (1993) citizens of Aghdam have been displaced from their native land.
Region Khojavand was established on the basis of Martuni and Hadrut regions on 26 November, 1991, after the liquidation of Nagorno-Karabakh autonomous region. Area of the region is 1.46 thousand square kilometers, population is 42,4 thousand (01.04.2013) people. The distance between Khojavand and Baku is 334 kilometers. Khojavand combines 1 city (Khojavand), 2 big towns (Hadrut and Girmizi Bazar), and 81 villages. Its villages are – Shekher, Shıkh Dursun, Dagdoshu, Edisha, Gırmızıgaya, Gochbayli, Tagaser, Vang, Agkand, Akhullu, Arakul, Bunyadlı, Jilan, Dashbashı, Zardanashen, Mushkapat, Kish, Kohna Taglar, Yemishjan, Gargar, Kharkhan, Zavadıkh, Tagaverd, Chagaduz, Mulkudara, Arpaduzu, Azıkh, Zogalbulag, Bina, Binadarasi, Sor, Boyuk Taglar, Bulutan, Khırmanjig, Malikjanlı, Jamiyyat, Chaylaggala, Arpagadik, Petrosashen, Chiraguz, Mammaddara, Tsakuri, Darakand Agjakand, Hakaku, Gagartsi, Guzumkand, Garazami, Mirikand Avdur, Tug, Atagut, Kuropatkin, Shahyeri, Dolanlar, Edilli, Agbulag, Dudukchu, Amiranlar, Gavahın, Agbulag, Guneykhırman, Chorakli, Guzeychartar, Guzeykhırman, Gunashli, Gushchular, Heshan, Khanoba, Khojavand, Kandkhurd, Garıtapa, Garadaglı, Garakand, Muganlı, Salakatin, Sos, Jutju, Susanlıg, Yenikand, Guneychartar.
Khojavand possesing favourable geographical position and conditions is neighbouring with Agdam, Agjabadi, Fuzuli, Jabrail, Gubadli, Lachin, Shusha, Khojaly. Its name consists of 2 parts: ”Khoja” and “vand”. Khoja means “teacher” in turkish language. Vand means “child,descent” in Persian. Khojavand is mostly region of agriculture. Vine-growing, graining stock-raising are important part of its economy. Moutainous rivers in the region alongwith beauty created favorable conditions for gardening and melon-plantation. From ancient times local people here have planted orchards and have been engaged in farming.
Region is located at the edge of Agdam-Fuzuli road and is foothill plain. Relief is mostly mountainous. Height is approximately between 500 meters and 2725 meters (Big Kirs). There are tens of recreational zones in the region such as Bagirkhan, Girmizi Bazar, Mada spring, Baba spring, Balli Spring etc. As an ancient settlement place Khojavand has unique natural resources, monuments and resources such as Edish gabbro with capacity of 2034 thousand cubic metres and suitable for production of facing stone, limestone deposits of 989 thousand tons, suitable for limestone production, underground fresh water deposits of 90,33 thousand cubic meters a day. Rivers such as Khonashenchay, Kondalanchay, Gozluchay, Guruchay, Chaxmagchay, Alıchay, Atautchay, Binachay belong to Kura-Araz basin.
One East plane tree 1000 years old with diameter of 600 santimeters, height of 25 meters, and one 2000 years old with diameter of 600 santimeters, height of 25 meters in the town Girmizi bazar of Khoajavan were protected. In the village Garakand 100 years old zelkova trees which were one of the species of III era with diameter of 24 sm, height of 12 meters were protected. Region is situated in the edge of Agdam-Fuzuli road and is foothill plain. Its relief is mostly mountainous. Its Height is roughly between 500 meters and 2725 meters (Big Kirs) . As an ancient settlement place Khojavand has unique natural resources, monuments and resources such as Edish gabbro with capacity of 2034 thousand cubic metres and suitable for production of facing stone, limestone deposits of 989 thousand tons, suitable for limestone production, underground fresh water deposits of 90,33 thousand cubic meters a day. Vegetation composition is mainly comprised of shrubbery and sparsely wooded meadows. One East plane tree 1000 years old with diameter of 600 santimeters, height of 25 meters, and one 2000 years old with diameter of 600 santimeters, height of 25 meters in the town Girmizi bazar of Khojavand were protected. 100 years old zelkova trees which were one of the species of III era and included to “Red book” had diameter of 24 sm, height of 12 meters and they were protected in the village Garakand of Khojavand. Region is situated in the edge of Agdam-Fuzuli road and is foothill plain. Its relief is mostly mountainous. There are historical art and architectural monuments in Khojavand such as 1,5 years old cave “Azikh” , ancient cave “Taglar”, in the village Tug, castle “Ritish” remained from V-VIII centuries, “Argunesh” castle on the cliffes of mountain Argunesh, tomb “Rzagulu Bey” from XIII century, cupola “Ashigli Gosha”, temple “Alban” in the village Boyuk Taglar (1241) and temple “Girmizi” from X century. Begining from February, 1988 Khojavand gave 145 martyrs during Karabakh war (13 women, 13 children). Khojavand was occupied by Armenian military forces on October 2, 1992.
Region Fizuli was founded in 1827 and the initial name was Garabulag. 08.08.1930 Fizuli granted an administrative district status and was called Karyagin. The town was renamed Fuzuli in 1959 on the occasion of the 400th birthday anniversary of great poet Muhammed Fuzuli. Though it was founded in 1827, the findings in Azikh cave proves that it was one of the ancient human settlements.
Fizuli region covers the territory from the south-eastern slopes of Karabakh Mountain range to Araz River.The region borders on Jabrayil in the south-west, Khojavend and Aghjabadi regions in the north, , Beylagan in the east and south, Iran along the Araz River in the west. The Guruchay, Kondelenchay, Gozlucay, Chereken Rivers flowing through the region are the Araz basin rivers.
Its territory makes 1,039 square kilometers, population 121,9 thousand people (01.04.2013).
There were two adminstartive central cities (Fuzuli and Horadiz), 11 settlements (newly built “Gayidish”settlements № 1-11) and 82 villiages. The villages are: Alkhanli, Arayatli, Babi, Mollameherremli, Ashaghiı Seyidehmedli, Shukurbeyli, Araz Dilagharda, Shekerchik, Shikhli, Boyuk Behmenli, Juvarli, Chimen, Xelefshe, Dedeli, İshigli, Garghabazar, Yukhari Yaghlivend, Yukhari Aybasanli, Yal Pirehmedli, Dilagharda, Dordler, Gobu Dilagharda, Dovletyarli, Gervend, Zerger, Yukhari Abdurrahmanli, Ashaghii Abdurrahmanli, Kurdler, Ahmedalilar, Gazakhlar, Mirzenaghıii, Ahmedbeyli, Araz Zerger, Garabagh, Murtuzalilar, Gedgegozlu, Uchunju Mahmudlu, Horadiz, Dordchinar, Hungutlu, Kerimbeyli, Ashaghi Yaghlivend, Yukhari Kurdmahmudlu, Ashaghi Kurdmahmudlu, Gajar, Divanaliar, Garakhanbeyli, Garamemmedli, İkinji Mahmudlu, Merdinli, Garakollu, Gorazilli, Hatinbulag, Garadaghli, Saradgig, Yukhari Rafadinli, Yukhari Guzlek, Gochahmedli, Arish, Mollaveli, Sərdarli, Uchbulag, Govshatli, Shikhimli, Ashaghi Veyselli, Yukhari Veyselli, Aghbashli, Yukhari Seyidahmadli, Birindgi Mahmudlu, Mirzejamalli, Alesgerli, Huseynbeyli, Seyidmahmudlu, Pirehmedli, Ashaghi Guzlek, Ashaghi Refedinli, Mandili, Musabeyli, Bala Behmenli, Gorgan.
The basis of the economy of the region was agriculture.It is explained by the fact that in terms of productivity gray, brown, gray-brown land is suitable for agriculture. Prior to the occupation vine-growing, grain-growing, cattle-breeding, sheep-breeding, poultry farming, and silk worm breeding had widely developed in Fizuli. There were 65 collective and state farms, 12 farmer farms, 11 grape processing plants, etc. in Fizuli. 85 thousand hectares of land were agricultural lands. There were 50.9 thousand hectares of pastures. Water reservoir was constructed on the river Kondelenchay. Irrigation canals were built there and 24 thousand hectares lands were irrigated. Before the occupation farmers had kept 17.6 thousand cattle, 70 thousand sheep and goats there. In addition to agriculture, a construction trust, 6 transport departments, 13 industrial enterprises were functioning in Fizuli.
90 libraries, 20 culture houses, 79 clubs, 20 cinemas, 2 museums, people’s and state drama theatres, recreation parks had been operating in the region before the occupation. There were 13 hospitals with 685 beds, 17 medical centres, 30 health stations, tuberculosis, skin and venereal diseases dispensaries, colleges, 86 secondary schools, 2 technical-vocational schools, 65 kindergartens, stadiums, etc. in the region.
Also potential strengths, men of mighty intellect, prominent scentists from Fizuli have gained great fame in our country. Labor commitment, honest efforts had always been a way of life for people of the region. Shamama Hasanov who was twice awarded the title of Hero of Socialist Labor was from Fuzuli. More than 300 candidates of science (PhDs) and doctors were born in Fizuli. At the same time Fizuli region is recognized with Azykh Cave, Guruchay culture, history and architectural monuments which histories date back millenia.
Fizuli region was occupied by the armed forces of Armenia on August 23, 1993. Owing to successful military operation held in the region in1994, 13 settlements out of 82 were liberated from the occupation and today 65.962 residents from Fizuli live in their homelands. 55.038 IDPs (internally displaced persons) have settled in Baku and other 50 cities and regions of Azerbaijan. In the occupied territories the Armenians have not only carried out environmental terrorism but also savagely and barbarously destroyed the cemetry related to XII century, Mirali tomb and Jalil tomb of the XVII century,the mosque, Imamzada mausoleum built in 1684, old bridges.As a result of the Karabakh War more than 1,100 inhabitants of Fizuli became martyrs, 1,550 people obtained disablement, 181 people are missing, 36.361 children suffered from the Armenian aggression, 155 out of them became orphan. 8 people have been awarded the title of National Hero of Azerbaijan.
The great heaviness of the war fell on the shoulders of the countrypeople of Gajar, Divanlilar, Yukhari Veyselli, Ashaghi Veyselli, Garadaghly, Uchbulag, Arish, Gochahmedly, Juvarly, Guzdak, Gorazilli, Jamilli, Dilagharda, Yaghlivend, Govshad, Khalafsa, Mollaveli villages.
Now there is one city (Horadiz), 11 settlements and 21 villages in the liberated territories of the region. 11 settlements have been constructed in the territories liberated from the Armenian occupation with the allocation of the State Oil Fund by the Decrees of the President of the Republic.