OUR MONUMENTS BEİNG İN CAPTİVİTY
Kalbajar region-the administrative region of Azerbaijan Republic. Located in the central part of Lesser Caucasus. It is bordered with the Republic of Armenia from the west. The Area 1936 sq.km2 and population are 83 200(01.01.2011). The center is Kalbajar city. The region is under the occupation of Armenian since April 2, 1993. Kalbajar city, Istisu settlement and Zivel, Keshdek, Nadirkhanli, Takhtabashi, Hasanriz, Gozlu, Gozlu Korpu, Narinjlar, Cherektar, Lev, Abdullaushagi, Garachanli, Agyatag, Fatalilar, Mozkend, Agdaban, Chaygovushan, Agjakend, Orujlu, Zagalar, Tezekend, Yenikend, Ali Bayramli, Vezirkhana, Almalig, Lachin, Esrik, Choban Kerekmez, Khallanli, Alirzalar, Shahkerem, Chovdar, Dalgilijli, Otagli, Deregishlag, Barmagbine, Otgishlag, Demirchidam, Ganlikend, Zar, Veng, Yellije, Alolar, Kaha, Hasanlar, Armudlu, Tekdam, Zaylik, Hopurlu, Sheyinli,
Zulfugarli, Garaguney, Kechiligaya, Istibulag, Goydere, Agdash, Gamishli, Bagirsag, Jomerd, Nejefalilar, Piriler, Kilseli, Gushyuvasi, Gilichli, Guzeychirkin, Marjimek, Aghgaya, Chopurlu, Birinji Milli, Ikinci Milli, Uchunju Milli, Guneshli, Allikend, Boyur, Alchali, Orta, Garachanli, Bash Garachanli, Asaghi Garachanli, Tatlar, Imambinesi, Kholazey, Alkhasi, Saridash, GUneytepe, Seyidler, Jamilli, Susuzlug, Gasimbinesi, Sinig Kilse, Bashkend, Tirkeshevend, Zargula, Gazkhanli, Galaboyun, Garakhanchalli, Chaykend, Kendyeri, Kilse, Ashagi Khach, Misni, Chepli, Elyaslilar, Saplar, Mammadushagi, Ashagi Shurtan, Yukhari shurtan, Soyugbulag, Tekegaya, Babashlar, Bozlu, Chirag, Tovledere, Mammadsafi, Yanshag, Zallar, Yanshagbine, Dovshanli, Bazarkend, Hayad, Gizilgaya, Yukhari Oratag, Vengli, Chormanli, Shahmansurlu, Heyvali, Devedashi, Yayiji, Imaret Garvand, Chapar, Zardakhach, Kolatag, Damgali, Childiran, Mehmana villages included to region. Before the occupation 95 secondary school, technical vocational schools, 44 club, art schools, museums, a central hospital, polyclinic, Children's Hospital, 7 village hospitals, 75 medical midwife stations, 23 village ambulance station operated there, there were registered several historical and architectural monuments, as well as Albanian templesДо оккупации в районе функционировали 95 среднеобразовательных школ, технические профессиональные школы, 44 клуба, школа искусства, музей, центральная больница, поликлиника, детская больница, 7 сельских больниц, 75 фельдшер-мама центров, 23 сельских амбулатории, был зарегистрирован ряд исторических и архитектурных памятников, в том числе албанские храмы и др.
The monastery complex Ganjasar
The monastery Ganjasar located in the territory of Vengli village of Kalbajar region in addition to being the residence of Caucasian Albania Catholicos was the tomb of Albanian princes Jaliler and Catholicosates.
The main constructions of the Monastery Complex of Ganjasar known as Khaznadagh in scientific literature were built in XII century. The hill where the Monastery located on the bank of Khachinchay prior to Christianity still considered a holy place, heathen temple turned to sanctuary. The Monastery of Ganjasar was a religious and cultural center of Caucasian Albania from XIII century up to XIX century. The monastery of Ganjasar consisting from church, special entrance hall and ancillary buildings. The complex are covered with castle walls having two gates in south and north sides. The one lined rooms of the cells and ancillary buildings connected to north and south walls. The Albanian prince Hasan Jalal laid the foundation of church which is close to the south gate of the Complex within 1216-1238.
In the construction and architectural salutation of that valuable monument was a major influence of Saljuglar and specially Elkhanilar. Its magnificent volume-spatial structure, abundant and exquisite artistic design, as well as extremely qualitative construction provides information not from small princedom and economic power of mighty Elkhani government. As the period of Elkhanilar was the pinnacle of medieval architecture of Azerbaijan, the Monastery of Ganjahasar is a masterpiece of Turkish-Christian architecture of that country. The Monastery of Ganjasar was the residence of Albanian Catholicos since 1511. In 1836 Armenians achieved to termination of Albanian Echmiadzin by the decree of Russian Emperor and subjugate to Echmiadzin Echmiadzin of Albanian churches.
Later, they started to represent to the world Albanian religious monuments as an Armenian religious monuments by falsifying history . Today Armenians represents the Monastery of Ganjasar being under the occupation of Armenian armed forces to the world as a “Ganzasar” Armenian monastery complex.
The monastery complex of Khudaveng
The complex of Khudaveng or Dedeveng complex located in the left bank of Tartarchay in the territory of Veng village of Kalbajar region is one of the largest and most beautiful monuments of Azerbaijan Christian architecture. According to the legend Faddey-Dede was the first Christian missionary apostle in the Caucasus was buried in that complex. For that supposed that the Khudaveng complex was founded in IV century. The main construction worsk in complex were carried out during the period of Albanian prince Vakhtang in the XIII century. There are more than construction and building leftovers in the compisition of the complex of monastery. The main church of the complex was built by wife of prince Vakhtang Arzu Khatun in 1214. The Arzu Khatun temple which dominates to the whole complex is a masterpieces of Christian architecture of Caucasian Albania with its high dome and great volume. It is assumed that the frescoes in the interior of the church designed by Arzu Khatun and her daughters.
The west and north head archs of the church decorated with delicate patterns carved on the stone. The main religious part of the complex consisting from 7 connected each other differ with plan and composition.
The main building of the complex is Boyuk Hasan Church. The civil constructions, as well as palace, residential and farm buildings located in the hillside, in the south from religious buildings. The buildings included in the complex demonstrates profoundly construction culture, different types of mid-ages Azerbaijan Christian architecture. There remainded many construction inscriptions and writings in the Khudaveng monastery complex. A number of names indicated in them: Arzu Khatun, Tursun, Seyti, Hasan, Avag, Shams, Altun, Agbukh, Garagoz etc should be considered one of the exact indicators of ethnic identity – Turkishness those who built this monument. In numerous carved stone decorations of that monument abvioulsy felt a direct connection with Azerbaijan Muslim architecture.
Today Armenian researchers trying to present the Khudaveng monastery complex being under armenian occupation as an armenian monument .
Kalbajar region has been recognized in the world with its Istisu mineral resources and “Istisu” sanatoria. The sanatoria “Istisu” located in the west part of Kalbajar- on the slopes of the mountain range. Istisu mineral springs emerged as a result of ground surge, rupturing during strong earthquake in 1138. After the establishment of Soviet power the creation of health and recreation zone in Istisu since 1925 has been in the focus of the Azerbaijani government. The chemical analysis of water of Istisu in Kalbajar was conducted for the first time in 1927. The resort buildings began to be constructed in the late 1920s. In 1951 there were built baths and spa hospitals, hotels in Yukhari Istisu. The sanatorium operated up to occupation of Kalbajar by Armenian armed forces in April of 1993.
Kalbajar History Ethnography Museum
Kalbajar History Ethnography Museum was founded in 1982. The yard of the museum was more than 900 square meter. The museum exhibits consisted from richest fund existed inside exhibits more than 30 000 one corridor, 3 cabinet, 9 exhibition hall. On the outside walls of museum were used from stones having 2037 color shades. There could be seen various patterns, farming tools , leopard and wild goat figures, churn, kettle, bottle and many items from the shape of the stone. There were demonstrated 14 tombstones Horse and wether sculptures carved from stone in the yard of the museum. The specialists also called Kalbajar History Ethnography Museum as geology, archeology, art and sound museum. At that time more than 150 scientist of many countries such as Bulgaria, India, China, USA, Germany, Italy, Canada, Australia, Iran , Finland and many other countries became acquainted with the exhibits of the museum and conducted there researches.
Kalbajar History Ethnography Museum operated up to April of 1993 at that time was destroyed by the force of Armenia. It was impossible to get rid of the vast majority of its exhibits.
Lev is the greatest in the mountain strongholds of Kelbajar castle. The castle was built at a distance 600 m in the right bank of Lev river on a high mountain in the territory of Ganlikend village. The castle surrounded on three sides by steep rocks and precipices has
complex structure plan compatible to oblong, mountainous landscape. The could be climbing to the single entrance at the end of the north-east of the castle only by narrow path at the north-west side. The length of the inside of the castle about 90 meters, width between 3,5-4,0 meter. Its inner tower located in tall south-western corner of the castle area.
The walls of the castle were strengthened by several semicircular towers. Single castle gate placed between semicircular tower. The average thickness of the walls of the castle are 1.3 meter. Inside the castle remained construction ruins, water basins excavated in the rock, food storage etc. Lev castle was included to a guard tower and a small satellite towers system existed in surrounding mountains. One of these mountains has kept his name at the peak of the tower function- Mountain Garavul. There could be seen another catle-Jomerd castle from Garavul mountain. Lev castle is a monument of XIII-XIV centuries. At the moment under occupation of armed forces of Armenia.
The chess club quite popular in USSR was launched in 1950. During the periods of activity numerous sport competitions, meetings and events were held in that school. After Kalbajar was captured by armed forces of Armenia in April of 1993 the building of chess school was destroyed completely.